Dear Family and Friends:
Welcome to my JDRF Ride to Cure Diabetes Page!
I’m taking part in the JDRF Ride to Cure Diabetes, along with hundreds of riders from around the world, to raise money for JDRF, the leading global organization funding type 1 diabetes (T1D) research.
What is Type 1 Diabetes?
- Strikes both children and adults suddenly and is unrelated to diet and lifestyle.
- Occurs when the body’s immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas. Insulin is essential to turning food into energy.
- Requires constant carbohydrate counting, blood-glucose testing, and lifelong dependence on injected insulin.
Why do I ride ?
- I ride in support of my son Christopher who was diagnosed at age 12.
- I participated in my first JDRF ride in 2007. This is my 7th year of supporting JDRF ! These ride events create a community of support for Type 1 diabetics and their families. I am hooked !
Why do I serve as a JDRF Ride Coach ?
- It is challenging to manage blood sugar levels during athletic activity and endurance events. In addition, environmental and physical factors such as heat, cold, rain and perspiration can wreak havoc on glucometers and insulin pumps! Every year I am amazed at the tenacity and courage of our type 1 riders who graciously manage any glitches encountered during the rides .
- Being a coach provides another way I can support JDRF and our riders!
Why do I serve as a Research Information Volunteer?
- JDRF makes smart investments in research that improves diabetes management, provides insight on prevention and make progress towards finding a cure. I enjoy educating people about the research funded by JDRF.
- My studies at Montana State University in molecular biology, immunology, and microbiology motivated me to become more informed about research supported by JDRF.
JDRF Research News ~ some highlights from 2014:
- Viacyte's Islet cell encapsulation therapy approved for clinical trials.
- Merck's smart insulin project is advancing to clinical trials.
- The artificial pancreas systems receives FDA approval.
- FDA shows early support for Afrezza (inhaled insulin)
- JDRF partners with Novartis to identify drugs for Beta Cell regeneration
It is difficult asking friends and family for donations. I believe in this organization and I am proud to support their efforts to find a cure for this life-threatening disease!
I thank you for your support!
Julie Geddes aka. Big Momma