As many of you know, JDRF holds a special place in my heart; 16 years ago, my sister was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (T1D). At the time, as a young kid, I didn't understand the impact of her diagnosis. But, over the years, I've became too familiar: hospital visits, ambulances, the countless medical supplies ... I could go on and I'm sure many of you are familiar with her stories and challenges or know someone else whose life is effected by T1D.
There isn’t anything I can do to change my sister's diagnosis of T1D
- I can't endure the things she is faced with everyday
- I can't take away the pain of the countless injections, needle pricks, soft-serter discomfort, or threat to her life
- I don’t undertake the financial burden necessary to staying alive
- I wont ever truly know the strength it takes for her to battle everyday this lifestyle forced on her
But, thanks to JDRF, I've had the wonderful experience and platform to help:
- Raise awareness of this autoimmune disease
- Raise money in support of research to better treat and ultimately cure T1D
I've enjoyed the opportunities I've had to volunteer with the Western PA and Northeast OH chapters. But, I was so excited when I learned about JDRF's "Ride to Cure". This is something that my sister and I can battle together; a 100+ mile bike ride in Death Valley, CA! I am filled with excitement, fear, anticipation and humility for this challenge and opportunity.
Myself, my sister and our team (Kaitlyn’s Crew), along with hundreds of other riders will be taking it to the pavement under one cause: we’re riding for the day when type one is type none!
I have been hard at work training and fundraising. Every dollar I raise helps JDRF continue to bring life-changing therapies from the lab to the community until a cure is found. Please donate and help us achieve our goal of a world without T1D.
On behalf of my myself, my sister, my family and all those whose lives are affected by T1D, thank you for your support.
Connect with us and learn more about our team, Kaitlyn's Crew:
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kaitlyns-Crew/787476927934854
Follow us on Twitter: #KaitlynsCrew | @CEAllegretti