Please make a donation or join our team in the Walk to Cure Diabetes. This is Team Schuler Motors fourth year participating in the walk!
Venue: Niabi Zoo
Date: SATURDAY 05-03-2014
Registration Start Time: 8:30 am
Walk Start Time: 10am
Length of Walk: 2 Miles or whatever you choose
JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes is near and dear to my heart because I have Type 1 Diabetes.
Type 1 Diabetes is a daily battle to control my blood sugar and ward off future complications.
What it is like to have and battle type 1 Diabetes:
- I have type 1 Diabetes and that means my pancreas doesn't work and never will again without a cure.
- The treatment for type 1 Diabetes is insulin. I will die without insulin from a bottle.
- Insulin has to be bought with a prescription from a doctor.
- Without insurance coverage this insulin is VERY expensive and currently the manufacturer programs to help the uninsured also have income guidelines and these guidelines still leave a lot of people unable to afford their insulin.
- Type 1 Diabetes is not curable. Websites are constantly giving cures for Diabetes. No supplement, Diet or anything else will cure me.
- Taking insulin and being Diabetic means that my blood sugar levels fluctuate and these fluctuations cause damage to my body and its internal parts. Kind of like running an engine with too little oil, it does damage over time.
- High blood sugar levels can lead to complications later on in life and some of these complications may come even with good control of your blood sugar.
- Low blood sugar can lead to seizures, coma and death.
- We were not meant to do the work our pancreas does, it is not an exact science.
- Diabetes is different for every single person, there is no one size fits all treatment plan available. I cannot pick the plan I want out of a book and stick to it and expect it to work.
- Endocrinologist (the specialists we see for Diabetes) are not all created equal.
- I wish that it wasn't so HARD to find a good doctor. A lot of Endocrinologist are using outdated technology and treatment plans
- Diabetes is hard, we cannot do or make any decisions without first thinking of our Diabetes and controlling it.
- Diabetes is a job we didn't apply for and don't get vacations from.
- Diabetes is on our minds 24/7 365 days per year.
- Checking our blood sugar is not fun, we do not enjoy poking our fingers with needles.
- Type 1 Diabetes is not brought on or caused by the person enduring it, it happens because our bodies killed off the cell that make insulin in our pancreas.
- I didnt eat too much sugar as a kid.
- We check our blood sugar by poking our finger and this number that pops up on our screen of our blood glucose meter is the amount of glucose in our blood stream.
- LOW BLOOD SUGAR MEANS WE NEED FOOD
- HIGH BLOOD SUGAR MEANS WE NEED TO TAKE MORE INSULIN
I would LOVE to see the day that Diabetes is cured and be able to eat food and participate in daily activites that to not cause me to worry about my blood sugar levels.
Please make a donation to JDRF, it does not to go me personally it goes to this organization that gives these funds to researchers to help fund their programs to finding a cure, better treatment and help us ward off the complications that come along with Diabetes and sometimes cut our lives short.