Cadee Arroyo





  • My Precious Carter

    My Precious Carter

  • Carter With His Siblings

    Carter With His Siblings

Join me in the fight to create a world without type 1 diabetes!

On April 26, 2013, Carter was diagnosed with T1D, two weeks after his 2nd birthday. 

Winter of 2012-2013 Carter was sick off and on with what we thought was the flu. He never wanted to eat and practically lived on chocolate milk. Carter’s growth had slowed and he was so thin we were worried.

Early April we took a trip to Florida. It was then that Carter really started to show signs of diabetes; however, we were unfamiliar with the condition and did not recognize these signs.  We figured Carter was tired and dehydrated due to the Florida sun.  On our flight home Carter began showing flu symptoms again, or so we thought. These symptoms lasted nearly two weeks.

Over the weeks Carter had the following symptoms: dehydration, excessive thirst, lethargy, constantly soaking through diapers, no appetite and vomiting. After expressing my concern to my mother she told me to have his glucose checked because it sounded like diabetes. I thought my mom was being paranoid, but to be on the safe side I looked into it anyway. After reading about T1D I was convinced she was right. Not knowing much about the condition I wasn’t sure if I needed to rush Carter to the ER or if it could wait until I could get him in to see his pediatrician. I called his pediatrician’s office and spoke with the doctor on call.  I told him all of the signs Carter was displaying and, shockingly, he told me it sounded like the flu. He told me that diabetes was at the bottom of his list. I was to watch him for a couple weeks and if he didn’t improve then bring him in.

The very next morning I carried Carter out of bed. He slept on the couch and watched cartoons and did not move for over an hour. I didn’t care what the doctor said the night before; something was wrong and he was going to the doctor! On Friday, April 26th, late morning, I took Carter to the pediatrician’s office. Carter’s blood glucose level was 580 mg/dL and he had large ketones. I was told to take him directly to Blank Children’s Hospital. After telling Carter’s endocrinologist what the on call doctor had said about waiting and keeping an eye on him for a couple weeks she replied, “He would not have made it that long”.

Carter was admitted that morning at Blank and by the next evening he was feeling so well that he was running through the halls happily screaming and was discharged. Carter’s endocrinologist told us that she had never seen a child turn around so quickly. All we could do was thank God!

Since then we have been closely monitoring Carter’s blood glucose and injecting him with insulin. We poke Carter’s finger or toe before each meal and several other times throughout the day to test his blood glucose level.  For nine months Carter had a morning injection of Lantus and after each meal we injected him with Novaolog. Any time Carter’s blood glucose level is over 240 mg/dL we check his urine for ketones (ketones are what makes him vomit). In order to correctly monitor and maintain proper glucose levels, we have to count the carbohydrates in everything he eats and drinks 24/7.

We recently started Carter on an insulin pump has made such a difference for all of us, especially for Carter! The pump makes managing his glucose levels so much easier!

It has been nine months since Carter’s diagnosis. He is healthy and happy and we are so thankful for this! Our family and friends have been such a wonderful support system.

Please help us raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. We hope that one day the money raised for JDRF can help scientists to find a cure for T1D!

I would like to thank you in advance for your donation and your support!!!

join my team Donate to Cadee


Date and time

May 10, 2014
Registration: 8:00 AM
Starts: 9:30 AM
Length of walk: 1 mile


Iowa State Fairgrounds
3000 E. Grand Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50317



Tori Lemke
(515) 802-3333

Welcome back, !