On May 10, 2014, Megan's Miracle Makers will be making its annual trip to Des Moines for the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) Walk To Cure Diabetes. We meet at the Iowa State Fairgrounds and walk from about 8:30 in the morning until around lunch time. It's a great way to raise money for a wonderful cause, get good exercise, have a good time with friends and family, and make new memories. Our team goal this year is to raise $3,000. We also want to get 55 team members. With the help of all of you, I'm sure we can do it.
Over 30,000 new cases of type 1 diabetes are diagnosed every year and only those close to the family are usually educated. I was diagnosed on December 12, 2001, a week after my eighth birthday. All I could think about is how I hoped they would find a cure real fast so I didn't have to stab myself with 1.460 finger pricks and 1,095 shots a year. And yet, here we are, ten years later, and there's still no cure. Although, now I have an insulin pump, it’s still a pain in the butt; not to mention watching my diet and exercising to keep my diabetes under control. I have to remember to bolus (or enter insulin through my pump into my stomach, arms, legs, or hip) for everything I eat, and test my blood sugars every day. It’s quite the hassle and it’s made being a college student a lot more difficult.
I don't know if you can imagine, but this has not only changed my life, but the lives of my family, my close friends, and even everyday people at school. Through the JDRF we have started a team called Megan’s Miracle Makers. This will be our team's 9th annual year. It’s been an amazing way to make me feel like I’m not alone in my hopes to get rid of diabetes forever; and that I can do anything I want or be anyone I want to be. I have 3 goals that I want to accomplish as the team captain 1.) Raise money and awareness, 2.) Gain support for me and my family in knowing that we aren't alone, and 3.) Have fun.
As you know, this disease has no cure and JDRF is the main reason we are so close to a finding a cure. 85% of donations go straight to the scientists and the other 15% is used to help get us the things we need to make diabetes come to an end. Scientists have made enormous progress, and a cure for type 1 diabetes is now within a reach, possibly including in my lifetime. Every walker, and every dollar, every little piece brings us that much closer. Sign up for my team and start collecting your money today!
I know I can’t wait for the walk and I hope you’ll be excited to join us, too. I hope to see you there. If you have any questions or comments at all just text me (641-218-9393) or call my mom (641-891-3352). Let’s make this the best year yet.