Welcome to Madeline's JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes team page!
Madeline was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in July of 2012 in the emergency room of Children's Medical Center Dallas, just a few weeks after her 2nd birthday. At first, the day to day management of type 1 diabetes included six or more blood glucose checks (including checks 3:00 in the morning), four or more insulin shots, and an inflexible constant carbohydrate diet.
Eight months after diagnosis, Madeline became ill with a stomach virus. The stomach inflammation caused by the virus prevented her body from properly absorbing food and made her blood glucose levels unmaintainable, nearly forcing her into a diabetic comma. She was admitted back into Children's Medical Center Dallas so that her blood glucose levels could be controlled with IV fluids. Shortly after coming home from the hospital, Madeline was switched from daily shots to an Omnipod insulin pump and Dexcom continuous glucose monitor. While these new technologies help Madeline with the day to day management of her diabetes, she still has to deal with the daily challenge of frequent high and low blood glucose levels, wearing two devices at all times, and finger sticks for blood glucose checks.
Madeline has been a very brave two and three year old through these trials. Her parents are often asked by friends and family. "Will Madeline grow out of this some day?", "I read diabetes is curable if you change your diet and lifestyle?", and "I know someone who just takes a pill to manage their diabetes, can't Madeline just do that?". All of these questions have to do with individuals that have type 2 diabetes, which makes up 95% of individuals with diabetes. The remaining 5% with type 1 diabetes do not have the option of changing their lifestyle or taking a pill to manage their diabetes. Unfortunately, it is a permanent life long disease with the potential for serious side effects including blindness, nerve damage, hand and foot amputation, and heart disease. Until a cure for type 1 diabetes is found, Madeline will have to continue her daily routine of strict diabetes management, and the fear of potentially life threatening complications.
Our team name, A1C ya later, is a tribute to the A1C hemoglobin test. Every three months, people with type 1 diabetes are administered a blood test, called the A1C hemoglobin, to determine their average blood glucose levels over the previous three months. The result of the test is an indicator as to how well the current diabetes management plan is working, and how likely the individual is to come down with side effects. It is our family's hope that one day there will be a cure for type 1 diabetes, and Madeline will no longer have to test her A1C hemoglobin levels.
What we are working with JDRF to do
We're taking steps to help JDRF progressively remove the impact of type 1 diabetes (T1D) from people's lives until no one has to fear developing this disease. By joining our Walk to Cure Diabetes team and making a donation to JDRF, you'll raise money to help fund critical T1D research and create a world without T1D.
Type 1 diabetes is a life-threatening autoimmune disease in which a person's pancreas stops producing insulin. It strikes both children and adults suddenly and changes life as they know it forever. It cannot be prevented and there is no cure.
JDRF is the only global organization with a strategic research plan to fight T1D. Every dollar JDRF is able to direct toward research comes from donors like you.
The challenge we've set ourselves - to raise money for JDRF and to walk - is modest compared to the daily challenges of life with T1D, which involves a 24/7, unrelenting cycle of blood sugar testing and insulin injections, either through a pump or shots, to manage the disease.
Please accept the challenge to make a difference by walking with us. Just click on the "Join this Team" button, make a donation, and start fundraising.
Thank you for your support, and we'll see you on Walk day!
|A1C ya later||Raised|
|Denotes a Team Captain|
Your contribution and fundraising makes sure those with T1D live healthier lives today, and someday, a life free of T1D. Wyatt, a JDRF Youth Ambassador says:
Take the first step and be a hero to someone with T1D!