- Targeted recipients based on your address
Dear [Decision Maker],
As your constituent and a JDRF advocate, I'm writing to urge you to support the INSULIN Act of 2023 introduced by Senate Diabetes Caucus Co-chairs Jeanne Shaheen and Susan Collins. This legislation would make the cost of life-saving insulin more affordable and predictable for those with commercial insurance and help those without insurance.
People with T1D need insulin to live. Unfortunately, broken business dynamics have sent insulin prices sky high, with some paying several hundred dollars out-of-pocket each month just to stay alive. As a result, people are often forced to decide between paying for basic living expenses (rent, groceries, etc.) or their life-saving insulin. This dynamic often leads to insulin rationing, which has deadly consequences.
Specifically, this bill will:
- Limit out-of-pocket costs for people with diabetes by ensuring that individuals with commercial insurance pay no more than $35 or 25% of the net price per month starting in 2024, for at least one insulin of each type and dosage form.
- Mandate that Pharmacy Benefits Managers (PBMs) pass through 100% of insulin rebates and discounts to health plans.
- Promote competition for generic and biosimilar insulins by creating an expedited FDA pathway and other methods.
- One year following adoption, the bill requires key Federal agency leaders to report to Congress on issues and market dynamics delaying or restricting biosimilar insulin competition.
The time to act is now. The INSULIN Act would lower the cost of insulin for those on commercial plans and bring relief to the uninsured by addressing the systemic problems that have caused the rising cost of insulin to become a unique, American crisis.
Insulin affordability is a bipartisan cause and this bill has bipartisan solutions all aimed at addressing an urgent crisis for Americans who need insulin to live but struggle to afford it. Your support and vote is essential to its success.
I urge you to support the INSULIN Act.
[City, State ZIP]